Sunday, September 3, 2023

Week 9

I can't believe another week has gone by. This week started out with some fun. We had dinner with all the senior missionaries at our Mission Leaders' house. It was fun to get to know everyone better and meet some new people. After dinner we went to Jake's house (our son) and visited with his family and Alyssa.
At Mission President's House

Von, Pop Pop, Sully
We spent a lot of time this week looking for people. We've put a lot of miles on Dwight's truck. We found very few people home, but those we did get to talk to were worth all the miles. We saw a dear friend yesterday who has been through extreme trials the past few years and has kept her faith. Talking to her strengthened me. She said she needed us that day. We all need each other.

While driving all those miles this week, I took pictures of old country stores... the ones that have long been closed for business. It seems there is one on just about every crossroad. Some of the old stores have turned into new businesses, but I am fascinated by the old, empty ones that are just sitting there begging to tell their stories.








This next store was one that Dwight frequented as a youth. It was a a little store and "pool hall" (near B. F. Grady School).

This next store is still in business. It's down the road from where Dwight grew up and where we lived as a family for seven years. A long time ago (like in the 80s), I was talking to my sister-in-law while writing a check to "R-Mart" for cash (you could do that in the olden days).  :)  After signing my name to the check, I realized I'd signed "Susan R. Mart" instead of "Susan R. Potter." I think about that every time I pass this store... which is quite often lately.
And one more little store, still in business--an old Dairy Queen we passed today in New Bern. I thought it was cute.

We have taught lessons to some amazing people this week. We have two people planning to be baptized on September 16. It warms my heart to see people's love of the Savior grow.

The best question we were asked this week came from a young boy after talking about prophets and reading some scriptures about prophets: "I want to be a prophet. Can I be a prophet?"

Today we went to visit a lady in our ward who hasn't been to church in a long time. She is convalescing in a hospital about an hour away from her home and any family. She was so happy to have visitors. We gave her a Book of Mormon, and her eyes lit up.

In the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 11:14-17, Jesus visited the people on the American continent after His resurrection and said, "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world. And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet... And when they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves, they did cry out with one accord saying: Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God! And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus, and did worship him."

We love our Savior, Jesus Christ!
We love all of you!
Love, Sister and Elder Potter


No comments:

Post a Comment